Tuesday, May 1, 2018

"The Leadville Trail 100 Run" My next great adventure




 In January of this year, I was notified that I have been selected by way of lottery to run in the 2018  Leadville Trail 100 Run on Aug 18, 2018. A 100-mile mountain Trail Race that starts in Leadville Colorado with a Race Profile ranging in altitude from 9200 ft to over 12,600 ft.  Leadville's Race Course travels out 50 miles and back again through stunning Rocky mountain forest trails and mountain roads.

My goal for my first Leadville Trail 100 is to simply finish the race before the final cut off time of 30 hours. With Leadville's altitude, vertical climbing and descending I expect I will be pushing my limits throughout the race. I am hopeful I will have the energy and perhaps a little time to take in the sights and snap a few pictures along the way.

 I am currently 16 weeks out and training for this race started for me a few weeks ago. A normal training week for me has me -

  • Recovering on Mondays (Taking the Day off), 
  • Running mid-distance faster workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 
  • Running long and slower paced trail runs on Saturday and Sunday, 
  • Strength training and cross training on Wednesdays and Fridays. 

I typically run 50+ miles a week and will hit 60 and 70+ miles at least 6 times over the next 16 weeks. Every other Thursday I add up to a 3-hour stair stepper with treadmill workout @ 15% incline during the evening. My Sunday long run often finds me at trail locations that offer significant climbing and descending. For sanity reasons, reference and fun I am running a few training races along the way. =)


Weeks to Go: 16 weeks to Race day – 3 weeks to a 52 Mile Training Race Possums- Revenge  “I can’t wait”  =)

Monday – Off Day

Tuesday – 8-mile progression run (only 8 because a ran at the OKC Memorial Half on Sunday)

Wednesday – Strength Training body weight (Pull-ups, Pushups, Jump squats etc...)  & 1-hour spin class

Thursday – 8 Mile Hill run on the road @ Moderate to fast pace & 50 minutes on stair Stepper with 50 minutes on the Treadmill at 15% incline

Friday – Swim 1000 to 1500 meters & Strength training weights at the gym

Saturday – 18 to 20 local trails if open road if not

Sunday – 18 to 20 local trails if open road if not

Total Running miles scheduled for the week = 52 (not including miles gained on the treadmill and stair stepper). 

Come and friend me on My Strava Profile

Come and friend me on My Garmin Connect Profile



Make it a Great Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment