Monday, May 7, 2018

Training for "The Leadville Trail 100 Run" My next great adventure



"The Leadville Trail 100 Run" My next great adventure

 This past week I found myself and legs tired and sore, so I modified a few of my workouts by decreasing the distance and lessening my pace and effort. Perhaps the fatigue was from a combination last week’s half marathon and the Texas climate relinquishing itself to summer humidity and warmer temps. Dropping one of my mid-week runs to 4.5 miles and one of my weekends long runs to 12 miles I ended the week with about 43 running miles and an additional 5. 5 hrs. of cross training and strength training. Every so often my 50-year-old body requests additional recovery time and giving it what it needs is always beneficial.  

Training this coming week has me temporarily dropping my overall running miles as I marginally tapper for the upcoming Possums- Revenge  52-mile training race on Saturday, May 19th. I hope to bring back the intensity by increasing my effort level this week as the Texas summer shows itself once again with temperatures in the high 80’s and low 90’s.
  
Connect with me at Strava or Garmin Connect and view and share past workout statistics

Weeks to Go: 15 weeks to Leadville Trail 100 Run Race day – 2 weeks to a 52 Mile Training Race Possums- Revenge  “I can’t wait” =)

 In January of this year, I was notified that I have been selected by way of lottery to run in the 2018  Leadville Trail 100 Run on Aug 18, 2018. A 100-mile mountain Trail Race that starts in Leadville Colorado with a Race Profile ranging in altitude from 9200 ft to over 12,600 ft.  Leadville's Race Course travels out 50 miles and back again through stunning Rocky mountain forest trails and mountain roads.

A normal training week for me has me
  • Recovering on Mondays (Taking the Day off), 
  • Running mid-distance faster workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 
  • Running long and slower paced trail runs on Saturday and Sunday, 
  • Strength training and cross training on Wednesdays and Fridays. 
I typically run 50+ miles a week and will hit 60 and 70+ miles at least 6 times over the next few weeks. Every other Thursday I add a stair stepper with treadmill workout @ 15% incline up to 3-hour during the evening. My Sunday long run often finds me at trail locations that offer significant climbing and descending. For sanity reasons, reference and fun I am running a few training races along the way. =)

Make it a Great Day!

Come and friend me on My Strava Profile


Come and friend me on My Garmin Connect Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment