Monday, May 21, 2018

Training Race Possums Revenge "The Leadville Trail 100 Run" My next great adventure




Possums- Revenge was everything I had hoped for and more. Stunning views, challenging climbs, sand, technical sections, with a few flat and wide segments as well. The race course is a 17 Mile loop with approximately 1400 feet of elevation gain over the 17 miles. At least 70% of the trail provides some form of shade, however, the exposed areas are toasty when the wind is blocked by the trees. The day started a 6 a.m. with the temperature at 70* and the humidity at 78% by 3:45 we reached the high for the day of 90*.

My first 17-mile loop was true enjoyment running on fresh legs and at the lowest temps of the day. Every challenging climb was rewarded by stunning views of Possum Kingdom Lake and quickly followed by a long energetic downhill segment.  Running most of the first 17 miles and only Power hiking the steepest and most technical sections I completed the first loop in a little over 3 hrs. feeling strong energetic and ready for more.

I changed socks, shirt and shoes (Note - The insoles of my Altra Loan peak trail shoes began working their way out of the heal of my shoes as I ran in them. Both insoles were half way up my calf’s when I finished the 1st 17 miles. I would be wearing my Altra Olympus from this point forward)



My second 17 – Mile loop with temperatures now in the 80’s I began power hiking more of the inclines and spending more time in the aid stations icing myself down and filling my head buff with ice (Tip – Filling your head buff with ice and wrapping it around your neck is a great way to keep your core temperature down on hot days). Still running the gradual inclines, flats and downhills my pace slowed some, however, had me on pace to finish in under 12 hrs.  I finished the second loop in a little over 4 hrs. feeling good and ready to take on the last 17 miles. (My Garmin’s battery died at this point)

I changed my shirt, topped off my calories with a protein drink and picked up my nutrition for the last 17 miles.   



34 Miles down and 17 miles to go with temperatures now pushing 90* I began power hiking much of the sun-exposed areas and inclines. Slowing considerably, I started noticing a tightening down the outside of my lower left leg across the front of my ankle down to my big toe. Every time I ran and pushed off or climbed steeper inclines my toes would seize up pointing towards the sky and not release. I pushed on for 11 more miles and at mile 45 decided to end the day with what was truly an exciting and productive training run for my big race in August.

Self-diagnosis by way of Google =) My Flexor Hallucis Longus was inflamed from overuse and starting to rebel. I have been lazy in the past when it comes to massages, rolling, and stretching for recovery. Time to incorporate more preventative care for my legs. =)



The week after a race is a recovery week.  Tuesday and Thursday I will run low miles at an easy pace if all the soreness is gone. Wednesday and Friday will remain strength and cross training and I will adjust based on the condition and soreness of my left leg. Saturday and Sunday if no soreness remains I will run about 10 miles each day at an easy effort. 

Connect with me at Strava or Garmin Connect and view and share past workout statistics

Weeks to Go: 13 weeks to Leadville Trail 100 Run Race day – 3 Weeks to Training Race Rebuilding Warriors Run all night June 9th followed by  Military Miles on June 10th. Both great opportunities to help support our veterans, run with friends, and add in a few nighttime miles with little to no sleep.  

 In January of this year, I was notified that I have been selected by way of lottery to run in the 2018  Leadville Trail 100 Run on Aug 18, 2018. A 100-mile mountain Trail Race that starts in Leadville Colorado with a Race Profile ranging in altitude from 9200 ft to over 12,600 ft.  Leadville's Race Course travels out 50 miles and back again through stunning Rocky mountain forest trails and mountain roads.

A normal training week for me has me
  • Recovering on Mondays (Taking the Day off), 
  • Running mid-distance faster workouts on Tuesdays and Thursdays, 
  • Running long and slower paced trail runs on Saturday and Sunday, 
  • Strength training and cross training on Wednesdays and Fridays. 
I typically run 50+ miles a week and will hit 60 and 70+ miles at least 6 times over the next few weeks. Every other Thursday I add a stair stepper with treadmill workout @ 15% incline up to 3-hour during the evening. My Sunday long run often finds me at trail locations that offer significant climbing and descending. For sanity reasons, reference and fun I am running a few training races along the way. =)

Make it a Great Day!

Come and friend me on My Strava Profile


Come and friend me on My Garmin Connect Profile

No comments:

Post a Comment